The most important cultural sites are:
– UNESCO Monuments: 8 wooden churches
– Medieval Fortress: Baia Mare – Butchers Bastion, Stephen Tower, Former Mint (now Museum of History and Archaeology Maramures);
– Open-air Ethnographic Museum – Sighetu Marmatiei and Baia Mare;
– Painters Colony – Baia Mare
– Art Museum – Baia Mare (Baia Mare School paintings collections)
– Memorial Museum of the Victims of Communism and of the Resistance – Sighetu Marmatiei (listed in the agenda of most tourists who heading for Maramures, European experts have confirmed that it is ranked third among museums of recent history on the continent);
– Urban Attractions: Historical center of Baia Mare, heritage buildings and historical center of Sighetu Marmatiei;
– Ethnographic: handicraft centers in the pottery – Baia Sprie, in interior textiles – Sapanta, Targu Lapus, Maramures gates – Land of Maramures, valleys of Cosau, Iza, Mara, Viseu, roadside crosses, crafts;
– Other crafts practiced include sculpture, wood and glass icons, popular jewelery making.
During the year, there are some great cultural events that bring together a wide range of musical activities, dances, and other events.
Rural tourism and agrotourism
Perhaps more significant than in other areas, agrotourism is a common form in Maramures, especially in the historical Maramures. The hosts are always very welcoming and they will offer the guests “the taste of the earth”, organic food, vegetables, eggs, meat, cheese, milk, made in their own household.
Mountain tourism is appropriate because of the huge potential offered by the Maramures Mountains, Rodna and Tibles Mountains. You can practice trekking, mountaineering, climbing, paragliding, etc.. presenting excellent opportunities for the development of this type of tourism. Add to these the potential of hunting and fishing.
This area is also perfectly suitable for cycling, motorcycling and off-roading, most of the year – except winter, when you can go skiing.
The main areas of Maramures where you can practice mountaineering are: Gutai Mountains (Baia Mare, Baia Sprie Cavnic),Rodnei Mountains (Dragomiresti, Moisei, Borsa), Maramures Mountains (Viseu de Sus, Viseu de Jos).
In Maramures county there are 3 scientific reserves, one National Park, one Nature Park, 18 natural monuments, 13 natural reserves.
You can also find some farmstead where the food is completely bio.
The region between Mara and Cosau rivers, with the Rooster’s Peak in the middle, is one of the first two certiffied Eco-destinations of Romania.
Religious and monastic tourism
Maramures has many areas full of spirituality and pilgrimage. Over 100 wooden churches masterpieces, are spread around Maramures, 8 of them are part of UNESCO Cultural Heritage List, testimony to their outstanding value. Monasteries like Rohia, Barsana, Sapanta-Peri, Moisei are also some of the places which worth visiting.
Business tourism is becoming more proeminent in Maramures. Conditions for organizing congresses, conferences, meetings are currently provided by hotels and institutions in cities like Baia Mare – Millennium Business Center, Chamber of Commerce exhibition center and marketing, Maramures County Library with generous conference rooms with multimedia technical equipment and European facilities.
Adventure tourism is a niche, but with a huge potential in Maramures. This kind of activities attract both Romanian and foreign tourists. You can perform the following specific programs:
Offroad – with either 4×4 vehicles or motocross bikes. In the last 5 years, Maramures Offroad Fest has become a reference among adrenaline lovers and offroad enthusiasts. Personalized events such as teambulildings can also be organized.
Climbing – Maramures has routes to areas where it is possible to practice climbing: Ridge Mountains Rodna, crossed in wintertime is a difficult alpine route, recommended only for advanced athletes, Rooster’s Peak – protected area of Maramures, Columns from Limpedea, and others.
Paragliding – is practiced in the mountains areas, especially Rooster’s Peak and Ignis;
Rafting and canoing – Somes or Bistrita rivers offers good conditions for floating. In Maramures, you can also do rafting on the Lapus Gorges area or on Vaser Valley.
Cycling – a vast and dense network of roads and mountains paths offer endless options for adventurous cyclists.
Tiroliana – in the adventurepark of Baia Mare, Cavnic and Izvoare resort.
Mocanita – mocanita the last remaining functional forestry train in Europe still used for wood transportation. Today, it is used also for touristic purpose and all the tourists are invited to discover the wild, unaltered nature of the valley.
Ski and snowboard winter sports are in good condition on the slopes of Suior, Cavnic, Borsa, Izvoare resort. Some of them have facilities of nocturne and artificial snow.
e-Mail: email@example.com, phone: +40-720-919907