EU and American citizens do not need a visa for entering Romania. They may also use their ID card instead of a passport.
Those owning valid passports recognized by the Romanian State can obtain entry or transit visas from Romanian diplomatic and consular offices abroad. Fully updated information regarding visas can be found on the web site of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Romania

In Romania we drive on the right side of the road as in Continental Europe. Cross lights should be on in the day time.

Driving licence
An international driving permit (IDP) could be useful. If you don’t have one, your national licence should suffice (all European, American and Canadian driving licenses are recognised). The driving licence must have a photo.

Speed limits in Romania
– 50 km/h inside urban areas
– 90 km/h on normal roads
– 100 km/h on national roads
– 130 km/h on highways

Road tax
On crossing the border, a road tax vignette (ROVINIETA in Romanian) should be purchased from a petrol station. It allows you to drive on national roads. At present there are no special highway taxes.


As in most European countries, 220V electricity is supplied 24 hours a day via standard European 2-pin type outlets. Adapters will be required for guests from countries using other specifications.

Public holidays and non-working days

January 1st – New Year

April or May – Orthodox Easter

May 1st – International Labour Day

June – Pentecost

August 15th – Assumption of Mary – Orthodox religious holiday

December 1st – Romanian National Day

December 25th and 26th – Christmas

Time zone

Romania is 2 hours ahead of GMT, which means that 12 a.m. in Bucharest is 5 a.m. in New York. As in other EU countries, we have day light saving in the summer – from the last Sunday in March till the last Sunday in October the clock is moved 1 hour ahead.